Monday, December 8, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

Going through my closet and consciously thinking about what I like and what’s comfortable made me realize some very important wardrobe facts.

-I’m not a huge fan of pullovers I do better in cold temperatures than the average person so when I get inside, I like to shed my layers. If I wear a cute, long-sleeved sweater to work, I’m stuck in that sweater even if I’m warm. If I had doubts about any pullovers or long-sleeved shirts in my closet, they were gone.

-I like wearing leggings in the summer One of my favorite summer uniforms last year was leggings and a short-ish dress or skirt. I also only like ‘shorts’ that at least hit my knees. I cut down on old or heavyweight capris and any shorts that didn’t fit the bill.

-I don’t like collars I can rock a Victorian collar like nobody’s business for costumes but when it comes to work wear, I really don’t like collared shirts. Because I get warm easily, I don’t like closing off my neck. Only a couple remain in my closet.

-I’m not much of a dress person Dresses are harder to wear with leggings and I’m not skinny enough to have a thigh gap. I have more dresses than I wear and it simply doesn’t make sense.

-I don’t like wearing hats I love how hats look on other people but I generally don’t like things on my head. I also have a large head so only a handful of headgear remains in my closet.

-I am super-picky about shoes My feet are incredibly difficult to outfit. They’re long, flat, wide, and have a high instep. I have shoes that I haven’t worn since college because I found things that work better. Any style that hadn’t been worn in the last 18 months was gone.

-I don’t like heavy jewelry I had hematite beads and a long pearl chain but they were both so heavy I almost never wore them. I like my jewelry to be light and comfortable so anything too bulky or heavy is on to better places.

-I’m not a bracelet or ring person I own no rings and am cutting down on bracelets. I almost never wear anything on my wrists because I don’t like how bracelets feel. The only ones I’m comfortable in are sailors knots and leather cuffs. What I have doesn’t get worn very much so some of those are going to better hands.

One of my favorite tenets of minimalism is that all of your things are your favorite things. You cut out the excess and only keep what matters to you. I’m still not perfect about this but I’m trying to get down to only my favorite things.

Current music: Santa’s Lost His Mojo by Jeremy Lister

No comments:

Post a Comment