Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Richer Reading Life Book 6

Poetry is brought to you by Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty by Christine Hepperman is an anthology of fairy tale themed poetry and images geared toward teens. I like anything with a fairy tale motif so when I saw this at the library, it was game on.

I definitely felt a bit old for this but I appreciated the references. There are a lot of things I don’t miss and being a teenager is one of them. The eating disorder theme was very prevalent. A great deal of time is spent trying to be thinner, prettier, younger and it’s all just a media sponsored game that has us chasing our tails.

Rather than give spoilers, I’ll just say my favorites: Shape Magazine, Anorexic Eats a Salad, Vindictive Punctuation, First Semester Haiku, Ugly Stepsister, Boy Toy Villanelle, Nature Lesson, Love Red Handed, The Beast and Assassin. It’s short, sweet and fun. Definitely recommend. My only complaint is that they images lost something being printed on standard pages. 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment