Monday, October 14, 2013

Family Filled Weekend


This past weekend had me and The Boy stretched pretty thin. Friday was a happy hour with our friends, Saturday was RenFest with my mom and a friend’s birthday party, and Sunday was a lunch with his family and old family friends. Friday was lovely as long as you weren’t outside for more than 30 seconds. I was outside for more than 30 seconds. It was immensely unpleasant. Moving on.

Because Friday was so dreadful we got a later start on Saturday no getting to RenFest until almost one. My mom met us there since we had to leave straight from RenFest to acquire a friend for the party later. We were starving by the time we got there and since the food was split three ways we got to enjoy soup in a bread bowl, hush puppies, curly fries, steak on a steak, mac n’ cheese on a stick, a crepe, cheesecake on a stick, and chocolate chip cookies.

The previous day’s rain actually worked in our favor since the Fest had enough gravel and hay down to keep the place from turning to muck. It helped keep the population down so we could enjoy more stuff.

I got my mom a necklace from the pewter place she likes and got The Boy a present I will not specify here. My mom found me and as I announced I got him something he appeared in the doorway of the shop. I got myself a pin that says in tiny print “If you’re close enough to read this your face is in my bodice. When are we getting married?” I may have to wear that around during the year.

We managed to see 2 juggling acts, 1 bagpipe band, 1 comedy duo, and 1 vocal band. I got a few CDs and The Boy and I got our first matching thing. It was 2 for 1 shirts with the comedy duo that said “Make awkward sexual advances not war” on the back and had a jolly roger on the front. We got the actors to sign them and I’m hoping to twist his arm into wearing them in NY. On our way to pick up our friend we made a list of all the food we have left to get before it closes next weekend.

The party was fun but we got out late so we were a little dopey the next day. The lunch consisted of The Boy’s mother, father, and sister and the family who lived in the house behind him the father, the mother, both sons, one girlfriend, one wife, and one new baby. You could tell his mother didn’t want to give up the baby and was eager to have grandchildren. I ribbed The Boy that I may have given his mother hope.

The restaurant was German so I tried spatzle and brussel sprouts for the first time and liked them both. The Boy enjoyed drinking beer out of the leather mug he got at RenFest. It was a very chill lunch. I’m incredibly please with how readily his family has welcomed me into the fold. I get warm fuzzies and other happy feelings that would disturb grumpy cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment