Monday, October 21, 2013

Visit Your Elders


So I did something with The Boy recently that I didn’t think I’d ever do with a boyfriend. I introduced him to my grandfather.

My grandfather used to be an intimidating man over 6 feet tall weighing in at the amount Howard Taft did when he got stuck in that bathtub. In the last four or five years, his mental health has taken a bad turn.

He’s had more good days recently and still remembers who my mother and I are but will forget what state he’s in or what month it is. He also has moments where dreams and reality blur and he’s asked my mother to verify what is real. I had dinner with them recently for his birthday. Despite the cake and presents, we had to tell him at least five times in 90 minutes that it was his birthday and he’d just turned 80.

He’s also lost the use of his legs partly from a degenerative muscle condition and partly from lack of use. With the size he is, my mom and I can’t move him from his bed to his wheelchair. It’s been really hard. At its worst, I thought I would never want to drag someone else into this.

At the aforementioned birthday celebration, we told my grandfather about The Boy. He asked to meet him and promised to behave himself. My granddad even remembered when my mom went by a week later. He asked if I had a boyfriend or if he dreamed that.

The Boy said he’d be willing to do meet my granddad so we swung by for a quick visit while we were in the neighborhood. It went well, My grandfather was having a good day and they talked a little bit. My granddad made us promise this wouldn’t be our last visit and that’d The Boy would keep an eye on me.

It was very sweet and meant more than The Boy probably realizes. He’ll read this soon and figure it out.

Music: Twisted by Carrie Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment