Monday, October 7, 2013

The Favorite


There is a secretary at my job who receives blatant favoritism. She works from home one day a week which is a privilege not afforded to any other admin let alone a personal secretary. Almost all admins could work from home one day a week but my employers would find that investment laughable.

The Favorite is become notorious for abusing the ‘work from home’ privilege. Her record was coming in less than 5 days out of 15. The longest she’s taken to answer an email on a ‘work from home’ day was 5 hours. They have cracked down on that recently but it’s far from perfect.

Not too long ago a project The Favorite was in charge of needed to be finished to go out on Wednesday. Tuesday was her work from home day. Did she come in on Tuesday to make sure the project got done? Absolutely not. I had to neglect my own work to make sure hers got done in time because she didn’t have to come in and do it.

For most of us, my place of employment allows zero flexibility with time. You leave a set number of hours after you get there. You leave 1 minute early too many times in a year and they can, will, and have docked pay. Once I left the office at lunch but got in at 9 minutes past the hour. That cost me an hour of leave and I have in writing that I was not allowed to make up those 9 minutes somewhere else.

The Favorite Secretary gets to leave an hour earlier than everyone else is allowed to every day. This past Friday she got to leave 2 hours earlier than everyone else because she called her boss and said she had errands to run.

Today The Favorite told me she is expecting an important call. She will tell me when she’ll be away from her desk but if she’s at the copy machine or something nearby I have to get up from my desk and find her. The only other people who have asked me to get up from my desk and find someone are executives who outrank The Favorite’s boss.

Earlier she walked by my desk and asked me not to get up while she was away. Coming back she asked if anyone called. In the past my chain of command was so warped the managers weren’t sure who should be doing my annual evaluation. I still can’t see how it works out that a personal secretary gets to treat me as her personal secretary.

A few weeks ago my job was threatened because I wasn’t adequately doing hers. When I argued that The Favorite did a horrible job of communicating her sporadic absences, I was told that was my fault. Apparently enough time has passed that these issues should be resolved. The Favorite’s lack of participation in this was irrelevant. The fact that she should be doing her own job was also irrelevant.

I appreciate that sometimes you have to pick up someone else’s slack to make sure a job gets done. I have no desire to do it almost every day I come to work. No one is overly motivated to do the work of someone who makes more money, works fewer hours, and receives better treatment.

I wish there was a way to communicate to management what this does for the moral of every other admin here. All of us resent the special treatment she gets and the nothing done to hide it. It kills morale because we mean less to the organization than she does despite doing more for it.

Paying multiple people to do the same job costs you more than dollars. It makes you look stupid to your staff. They also aren’t motivated to work as hard. Why should we be expected to give 110% when The Favorite makes top dollar and doesn’t have to come into work every day to do it? She doesn’t face any consequences so what can you really get off saying to us?

I think The Favorite’s attitude is offensive. I think the men letting her get away with it are even more ridiculous.

Music: One Step Closer by Linkin Park

PS – No, this woman is not Barbie. She is a middle-aged mother who smokes and looks dowdy on a good day. Her idea of business casual regularly involves velour hoodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment