Monday, October 21, 2013

Guess Who’s Coming to the Wedding?


That’d be me.

Despite being in the latter half of my twenties, I’ve only been to one wedding. This weekend I will be +1 at a wedding including most of The Boy’s extended family. His mother has 10 siblings. The Boy has around 20 cousins most of whom are already paired off and beginning families of their own. The Boy and his sister are some of the last hold outs.

Thursday The Boy and I will make the 8 hour drive to his aunt and uncle’s house where we are guests. Friday is the celebration, Saturday is up in the air, and Sunday is the 8 hour drive back. I think this falls under the heading of ‘test of the relationship.’

Despite the ample room for anxiety and freaking out, this is a good scenario to meet all the extended family. While I’m sure they’re curious to meet me, I’m not the reason they’re there. They are celebrating another family member tying the knot, jumping the broom, getting a ball(s) and chain, and I’m out of wedding clichés for now.

The ceremony and reception are in the same room at an art gallery so there will be wandering while the set up changes. I expect a variety of relatives coming over to talk to The Boy in waves and I’ll stand there politely until introduced. I can work a room so I’m not that worried about meeting his family. I’m worried about the road trip.

16 round trip hours of nonstop togetherness. We’re used to our own space and I don’t do well on long car trips. I can only handle 3-4 hours of driving in good traffic. If it’s stop and go, I become like an enraged and caged jungle cat. I also can’t handle 8 hours of driving which means for the first time in the history of ever, someone else will have to drive my car. Normally I sleep on road trips but I don’t see that happening here.

I’m trying to cut this off the boredom by having 2 really cool audiobooks on my iPod, a kickass playlist, a book of Would You Rather questions, and jewelry making supplies for when he’s driving. If I’m distracted, that’s for the better.

Music: Tie It Up by Kelly Clarkson

No comments:

Post a Comment